Last summer, I had the wonderful opportunity to volunteer at a local daycare center. It was an experience I will never forget. Over time, I grew to love the kids I worked with each week and cherished every moment with them. What I am most thankful for though is the invaluable lessons I learned there. Those sweet little kids taught me so much about myself, about others, and about life. Here is just a glimpse of what God taught me through this experience:
- Show kindness to everyone you meet. . .pure, sacrificial kindness. I saw some of the most amazing acts of kindness at the daycare center. Every week, at least one little one came up to me and sweetly said, “Miss Kenzie, I drew a picture for you.” I saw kids give up their toys to someone who didn’t have any. It was so beautiful!
- Hug your loved ones often. . .just because. From my experience, kids are masterful huggers! They would would come up to me and give me a great big hug for no reason at all. It melted my heart every time!
- Forgive quickly and love unconditionally, even when someone steals your favorite toy. I was truly convicted by how quickly kids let things go. In my own life, I know that I could have saved myself so much heartache by forgiving and forgetting. These kids truly loved without limits! They loved others no matter what. They loved me even though I stuttered sometimes because they didn’t see my flaws. They only saw ME. What would the world be like if we loved others for their uniqueness as a person, not for their outward appearance?
- Enjoy the little things in life, and smile often. It has been said that a child’s laughter is one of the most beautiful sounds in the world. I could not agree more! If they got something special for eating everything on their plate, their faces would light up with a contagious joy. Sometimes, they smiled so big that their eyes almost disappeared. Wouldn’t it be amazing if we all had childlike joy?
- Be a friend, especially to that girl sitting by herself on the playground.
- Dream big, because nothing is impossible! One little boy told me he wanted to be superman someday, while another kid said she wanted to be a pirate. Their faith and endless imagination is so inspiring. One day, while I was pushing a little boy on the swing set, he exclaimed, “I went so high that I almost touched the sky!”
Do you feel as motivated as I do by their example? Let’s all strive to be kind, to love unconditionally and forgive quickly, to enjoy life, to be a friend, and to dream big.